Archive for the ‘Course Administration’ Category
1) After logging in to your course, click on the Edit Course button in the upper-right corner.
2) In the next screen, click on Navigation & Themes
3) Click on the small drop-down button next to Course Default, then click Copy.
6) You will be presented with a mock-up layout of the default course navbar. You can remove a link to a tool by hovering your mouse over it, then clicking the small X icon that appears. You can also drag-and-drop links to change their order. Finally, you can use the Add Links button to add additional tools to your course.
In the example below, I removed some of the default links that I won’t be using in my course, but added Rubrics and Online Rooms.
7) When you have finished adjusting your navbar, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click Save and Close.
8) Using the drop-down box under the Active Navbar heading, choose Copy of Course Default as the new active navbar, then click Apply.
9) When I return to the homepage of the course, I can see now that my new navbar has taken effect:
There is no need to re-upload all of your course materials every semester. In just a few clicks you can copy the materials from your old courses into your new courses. Here’s what to do:
1) After signing in to Desire2Learn, click in to your NEW, EMPTY course.
2) Click on Edit Course in the course navbar. It on the right side of the screen.
3) In the Course Administration screen, locate the Import/Export/Copy Components link (it’s in the center-middle)
4) Leave the bubble selected for “Copy Components from another Desire2Learn Course.” Then click Search for Offering.
5) The window that appears will allow you to select the old course that has the materials that you would like to copy. To narrow down your search, type the year of the last offering in the search box, then hit enter.
6) Click the bubble to the left of the course offering, then click Add Selected.
7) The pop-up window will disappear. Click Copy All Components at the bottom of the screen.
8) The course copy process will commence, and a status bar will show the progress in the next screen. When it completes, you may click on Course Home to return to the home page of the course and begin revising.
WARNING – COPYING INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS
We strongly suggest that, when copying from one course to another, that you simply check off the Copy All Components option. It is far easier to copy over everything, then afterward go into your Content area and trash the handouts you don’t want.
You can, however, pick and choose individual modules or folders to copy over. However, if you do this, you must also select the “Course Files” option.
IF YOU CHOOSE TO COPY JUST THE CONTENT FROM YOUR OLD COURSE, BUT DO NOT SELECT COURSE FILES, THEN ALL OF THE LINKS IN YOUR COURSE WILL SHOW UP AS BROKEN.
Desire2Learn is configured so that faculty can NOT delete old courses from their My Courses lists. However, there are some work-arounds that allow you to de-clutter your D2L welcome screen.
First, don’t forget that you can hide individual semesters. Just click on the small box next to each semester or year heading:
However, if you want to fully remove a course from your list, instead of just collapsing your semester headings, try this:
1) Click in to the course that you want to remove
2) Click on Classlist in the course navbar
3) Find your name on the list of participants. Check the box to the left of your name.
4) Scroll to the top of the list, and click on the unenroll button. It is circled below:
You will be be taken to an error screen when you click the unenroll confirmation message, but when you follow the link back to the My Home page, the course will be gone.
Remember that the course has not actually been deleted. It has just been removed from your list of enrollments. If you do this by mistake, contact our office (724-738-4220), and we can put it back on your account.